There are a number of different styles of mattresses on the market, and they all offer different levels of support.
The style you choose will depend on your preferences for firmness and whether or not you like to sleep hot.
The crucial factor is comfort. We will review the most comfortable mattresses in the UK for your perfect night’s sleep.
Best Most Comfortable Mattresses in the UK 2021 – 5 Winning Models
1. Best mattress for side-sleepers: Emma Original Mattress
The Emma Mattress scores highly on all factors, including comfort. It is a budget mattress. Its innovative design means you will find it extremely comfortable to sleep on.
This mattress could be one of the best mattresses in the UK for people who like medium firmness.
- The Emma Mattress is well-priced, and it offers a quality, comfortable mattress.
- The design of the mattress contours to your body, meaning you sleep more comfortably.
- This mattress can be suited for people who like a medium-firm mattress as it offers great comfort and support.
- It has been awarded the Gold Award from The Good Housekeeping Institute.
- It is available in all sizes, including small single, double, king, and super king.
- Some people may find it a little too firm for their liking – if you prefer a softer mattress, this might not be the best option for you.
- It is slightly more expensive than other mattresses, but it does offer a superior level of comfort and support.
2. Nectar – Best Memory Foam Mattress
This advanced mattress ticks a lot of boxes in terms of comfort.
It offers a good level of support and contours to your body shape, meaning you find it comfortable to sleep on.
- This mattress is designed to contour to the shape of your body, which makes it very comfortable.
- It also relieves pressure points by moulding around them, which provides extra comfort.
- It is made from memory foam, which adapts to the temperature of your body heat while you sleep. This means that there will be no heat retention, and you should not feel hot when sleeping on this mattress.
- The base layer consists of high-density support foam, which adds to the overall comfort factor and helps the mattress provide excellent support.
- This mattress is suited for people who sleep in all positions, including the back, side, and stomach. It will suit most people due to its great comfort levels.
- The Nectar Mattress does not have any handles on the side of it, which some people prefer as they can help move the mattress around more easily while making the bed.
- This mattress is heavier than other models, but there are no handles on the sides to aid in moving it around.
3. Brook + Wilde Lux Mattress (soft version)
This elite mattress is more expensive than other models, but it offers a superior level of comfort.
The design means you will find it extremely comfortable to sleep on, and the soft mattresses are especially good for side-sleepers as the memory foam adapts to their body shape and reduces pressure points
- It has been designed with sensitive people in mind – the luxury fabric cover makes it hypoallergenic and prevents dust mites from penetrating through
- The Brook + Wilde Lux Mattress provides excellent support and relieves pressure points while moulding around your body’s curves for extra comfort.
- It is made with luxury materials, including cashmere and silk with natural latex cores, which help regulate temperature levels. This means that there will be no heat retention, and you should not feel hot while sleeping.
- The combination of memory foam, latex cores, and cashmere has made this mattress ideal for side sleepers as it contours to your body shape.
- It is available in all sizes, including small single, double, king, and super king.
- This mattress is more expensive than other brands on the market. Although, if you are looking for superior comfort levels, then this bed might be worth the higher price tag.
- This mattress is relatively heavy, and it may be difficult to move around if needed.
4. Best hybrid mattress: Simba Hybrid Mattress
The Simba Hybrid Mattress has been designed to provide excellent support while providing a soft level of comfort.
- It is made up of 5 layers, including a 4cm memory foam layer and 7.5 cm pocket springs on the top layer, which provides great support while also contouring to shape of your body, reducing pressure points, and improving blood flow.
- This mattress is perfect for side-sleepers because it moulds around your curves without you feeling stuck in the mattress
- The cover of this mattress has been made using premium materials like cashmere and silk, meaning that the sleeping surface will remain dry throughout the night – no more waking up with a damp back from sweating! In addition, this cover prevents dust mites from penetrating through
- It has 4 handles along the side to make it easier to move around when needed
- Some people find firm mattresses more uncomfortable than softer ones, so this mattress may not be ideal if you prefer a softer level of comfort. However, you can get this mattress in three different versions – super soft, medium, and firm – to suit your preference.
- This model is considerably heavier than other models on the market, but it does have four handles along the sides to make moving it around easier.
5. Best mattress for back pain: Tempur Hybrid Supreme 21 Traditional Pocket Sprung Mattress
The Tempur Hybrid Supreme 21 Pocket Sprung Mattress is the best mattress for those who suffer from back pain and need a hard level of comfort.
The design reduces pressure points and ensures that it will suit people of all body shapes
- It has been made with premium mattress materials, including cashmere and silk on top, meaning that you will sleep dry throughout the night – no more waking up soaked in sweat! In addition, this material means no dust mites can penetrate through.
- It has been designed to ensure great support as well as reducing pressure points which are perfect for those who experience discomfort when their spine doesn’t maintain its natural position. This mattress works for people of all body shapes
- The handles along the sides of this mattress make it easier to move around the house
- The memory foam provides excellent comfort levels while also ensuring that you get a proper night’s sleep
- This mattress is on the more expensive side, but if you are looking for relief from back pain, then paying out extra may be worth it. However, there are cheaper models available, so shop around before making a final decision.
- Although this mattress has been designed with people who have back pain in mind, some people find all-foam mattresses slightly uncomfortable – so it may not provide the level of comfort you are looking for. If this is your case, try shopping around for another model of the mattress before making a purchase.
Types of mattresses
These mattresses mould around your body and provide great levels of comfort as well as helping to relieve pressure points.
They are on the more expensive side, but they last for a long time, meaning that you will get your money’s worth.
Pocket springs provide excellent levels of support, as well as ensuring that no matter what shape or size your body is, it will match the mattress.
This type of mattress does come at a slightly higher price than non-pocket sprung mattresses, but they do last for a longer time, so you will get your money’s worth over the years.
If you suffer from allergies, latex beds might be perfect for you because – unlike other types of materials -they are dust-mite resistant.
They also provide excellent levels of comfort while ensuring you get a good night’s sleep.
Hybrid mattresses are a combination of memory foam and pocket springs, which provide great levels of comfort while also ensuring that the mattress lasts for a long time.
This type of mattress is slightly more expensive than most others, but it’s worth it if you want something that will provide great levels of support without leaving you with back pain.
What are the benefits of getting a non-spring mattress?
Non-spring mattresses tend to be cheaper than spring ones, but they’re just as durable. They have lots of padding underneath them, so they feel really soft and comfortable.
You can even buy some with memory foam inside them if you want something extra comfy.
Non-spring mattresses aren’t affected by temperature levels in the same way spring mattresses are, which means your body won’t get too hot while you’re sleeping on them.
Pocket Sprung vs. Memory Foam
Pocket sprung mattresses are also very popular, but they’re less flexible, so people with limited space might find them less suitable.
Memory foam is probably the most popular option available right now because they provide good levels of comfort without being too expensive.
If you have back problems, then you should definitely opt for a memory foam mattress because these are designed to keep your spine in line by providing even support all around.
By contrast, pocket spring bedding moves about more freely, which can cause problems if the springs aren’t strong enough to support the sleeper’s weight – this could lead to an uneven distribution of pressure across the body, meaning that some areas receive more support than others.
What is visco-elastic memory foam?
Visco-elastic memory foam is a popular type of bedding that’s made from polyurethane.
It provides superb levels of comfort while also being hypoallergenic, so it’s suitable for people who have allergies or asthma – this bedding is also particularly great for the elderly because it helps to keep them cool while sleeping.
Pros and cons of orthopaedic mattress
Orthopaedic mattress is a type of bedding that provides great support for people with back problems.
This is because it has a firm surface, which can help to keep the spine in line while sleeping and reduce the pain associated with conditions such as slipped discs and arthritis.
- They reduce the pain associated with certain medical conditions
- They can help you to avoid surgery in some cases
- They can improve your overall well-being and general health faster than other types of bedding.
- They tend to be more expensive than standard mattresses, so they aren’t suitable for people who don’t have back problems.
- If you think that an orthopedic mattress might provide benefits, then it’s best to consult a doctor or specialist before buying one.
- Most mattresses have a top layer of quilted fabric which is designed to make the mattress look more attractive while also giving it an extra layer of padding. This should be removed and washed regularly.
- The next layer should be a thick block of memory foam. Memory foam is designed to conform to the shape of your body and provide great levels of comfort while you sleep.
- Underneath that, there should be another layer or two of support for your lower back and joints –
- The final layer should be made from an elastic material that stops the mattress from getting too soft in areas where there’s more pressure.
How often do you need to buy a new mattress?
A lot of people would tell you that it is ideal to buy a new mattress every five years or so, but this isn’t always the case.
It’s important to keep in mind that everyone has different needs, and what might be the best mattress for someone else may not work for you – especially if you prefer a softer level of comfort.
So, when buying your next mattress, think about what kind of sleeper you are – whether you like a firmer mattress or a softer one – then go from there!
How much should you spend on a mattress?
As mentioned above, you can spend anywhere from £100 to several thousand pounds on a mattress.
You should consider your own personal needs before spending out on something that is overpriced just because it has an expensive name attached to it.
Think about how often you’ll be using the mattress and what kind of sleeper you are before making this big investment!
Do I need to try a mattress out before buying?
It’s always a good idea to try out the mattress before buying because everyone has different needs and preferences when it comes to comfort.
If you can, try testing it out for at least 10 minutes – that should be enough time for you to know whether or not you like it.
Some people find memory foam uncomfortable due to the way it moulds around your body; others find all-foam mattresses slightly uncomfortable as there is no support whatsoever.
What to consider when buying a mattress?
Make sure the mattress you are thinking of buying is comfortable for you. If it’s not, your money would have been better spent elsewhere.
It’s important to consider how often you’ll be using the mattress once you buy it. If it’s just a one-off purchase for family visits, there’s no need to spend out on something expensive.
However, if this is going to be your main bed, then the extra cash could be worth it in the long run.
Size of bed
How many people are using the mattress? Is it just for one person or for two? If you share your bed with someone else, make sure that both of you are getting plenty of support when sleeping.
Also, think about how much room there is in the bedroom – if you have a small double/single bed, then don’t buy something too big to fit in the space.
On the other hand, if you have lots of space then there’s no harm in buying an extra-long mattress
- Single:measures 3′ x 6’3″/90cm x 190cm
- Small double: measures 4’0 “x6’3″/120cmx190cm
- Double: measures 4’6 “x6’3″/140cmx190cm
- Kingsize: measures 5’0 “x6’3″(150×190 cm)
- Superking:measure 6’0″ x 6’3″ (180 x 190 cm)
It’s also worth noting that the bigger the mattress, the more it will cost! Make sure you have a budget in mind before shopping because there is nothing worse than buying an expensive mattress and then having no money left over to buy your bed frame.
Benefits of double, king/super king mattress
A double mattress is great for people who sleep with a partner because it provides enough space for two people to lie comfortably without feeling too cramped.
The king-size mattress is also very popular, but if you have the bedroom space, then buying double or even super king-sized bedding can make life much easier.
This is because these mattresses provide more room, which makes them perfect for couples and families (kids can share the bed too).
Materials used in a mattress
There are lots of different materials used to make a mattress. However, the three most common ones are memory foam, latex, and spring coil.
Mattresses use these because they offer great levels of comfort without being too expensive. Memory foam provides great support but does not hold up for a very long time if you have an active lifestyle that requires moving around a lot while sleeping – so keep this in mind if you suffer from back pain or arthritis.
Reasons to choose only natural fillings.
- They’re pure fillings of a mattress free from chemicals
- They provide good levels of insulation
- They allow your body to breathe, so you don’t get hot during the night
- They keep their shape well, so they don’t need to be replaced as often as other types of bedding – this means that it’s cheaper in the long run because you won’t have to shell out too much cash on pillows and mattresses protectors.
The firmness of a mattress
- Soft: rating 4-6 out of 10
- Medium: rating 6-7 out of 10
- Firm: rating 7+ out of 10
The firmness rating relates to how thick the mattress is and how much cushioning it has. If you prefer a softer level of comfort, then choose a mattress that is around four inches thick or less – this will feel slightly squishy when lying on it, but it’s better for your back in the long run.
If you like firmer mattresses, look for one that is at least six inches thick – these are ideal if you have an active lifestyle as they offer great support.
It’s important to think about how much support your mattress provides. If you suffer from back problems, sleeping on the wrong kind of mattress can make them worse, so it’s worth looking for one that offers great levels of comfort and support.
The best thing about memory foam is its ability to mould around the shape of your body – this ensures there are no pressure points where you could end up with aches and pains after a few hours in bed.
The tension rating on a mattress refers to how much movement you can expect from one side of the bed to another.
If there is someone sleeping next to you who occasionally gets up in the night, it’s important that your mattress doesn’t move too much when they get out of bed – this could end up with both of you rolling towards each other and disturbing your sleep.
When choosing a new mattress, it’s important to think about who will be sleeping on it too.
This affects the firmness and thickness of the mattress you buy.
- Side sleepers need a medium level of comfort. They should look for a mattress that has good levels of support but isn’t too firm – the pressure points on your body can often be relieved by a memory foam option due to its ability to mould around the shape of your body.
- Back sleepers need more support than side sleepers as they put more pressure on their spine. The best mattress choice for these individuals is one that is at least six inches thick and has great levels of comfort and support.
- Stomach sleepers need a firm level of comfort with good levels of support. If you’re this kind of sleeper, it’s important you don’t buy a soft memory foam model because there won’t be enough back support and could end up causing aches and pains.
Memory foam can be more expensive than some others because they’re often handmade and use natural materials.
This means you need to think about how much you’re willing to spend on a mattress before choosing one – the higher the price tag, the better quality it’s likely to be.
It’s worth thinking about how long you want your new mattress to last.
Memory foam is incredibly durable, but there are other types available if you prefer (like latex), and these could end up lasting twice as long or more.
The comfort of a mattress largely depends on personal preference, so think about what will make you feel most relaxed when you go to bed at night.
If memory foam is not for you, then latex might be a great alternative.
The memory foam mattress isn’t as breathable as latex or spring, meaning it can absorb heat and get quite hot.
This is because the molecules within them compress when you lie down and open up again when you get up – this means they trap lots of heat during the night and make you feel too hot.
Many memory foam mattresses don’t smell very pleasant after they come out of their packaging.
This is due to the chemicals used in production, but manufacturers have managed to reduce these over time, so it’s worth reading reviews before buying a mattress to see what other people think about how it smells.
If someone in your family suffers from allergies, it’s important that their mattress doesn’t harbour dust mites or other particles that could affect their breathing at night.
Memory foam is one of the best choices for allergy sufferers because it doesn’t absorb lots of moisture, unlike cotton mattresses.
Delivery time is very important if you’re looking to buy a memory foam model. It’s definitely better to pay a little more for a firm delivery date as this gives the manufacturer time to make your mattress and deliver it correctly – they often come wrapped tightly in plastic so they can take some time to expand back into their proper shape.
Warranty & Trial Period
It’s always worth thinking about the warranty on your new mattress. Some memory foam options come with a lifetime warranty – this is often because they’ve been specially made to order, and their quality is incredibly good, meaning they never need to be replaced!
You should always look for a bed that comes with at least a trial period of between 30 and 100 nights. Guarantee: 10-years is the average time for a warranty on memory foam models. If you’re buying online, then this is particularly important as it’s much harder to return your mattress once it’s been taken out of its packaging.
The conditions of return often depend on the seller and can vary widely. Some retailers allow you to return your mattress if it’s unsuitable, and you’ll need to pay for the postage – others might let you return it and get a full refund after paying for postage.
Types of bed frames
- The cheapest types of bed frames are slatted. These have gaps in the frame, so there’s plenty of ventilation for you and your mattress.
- Solid wood frames can be more expensive, but they’re a lot sturdier and durable.
- Metal bed frames could cost a little less than wooden ones, but they might not be as comfortable to sleep on because they don’t have any springs or soft fabrics underneath them. They could also make annoying sounds when you’re turning over in your sleep during the night.
Headboards are a great way to decorate your bedroom and make it look a little cozier. They can change the atmosphere of a room completely.
Built-in headboards could be cheaper than those with storage because they take up less space. The more elaborate-looking a headboard is, the pricier it’ll likely be.
Choosing your mattress bedding
Pillow protectors are invaluable for protecting your pillows from general wear and tear. They are cheap to replace when they get dirty or worn out, which will keep your pillows working correctly for even longer.
Mattress protectors are one of the best ways to ensure that your mattress is always clean and hygienic. The vast majority of these protectors are waterproof too, which means any accidents that happen at night won’t damage your mattress. Protectors are also very good for those with allergies as they don’t allow particles to get through them.
These are a good way of increasing the comfort of an old mattress if you’re having trouble sleeping on it. They can be particularly useful for children’s mattresses because they’re designed to be really soft and fluffy. A topper doesn’t cost much either, so it’s definitely worth investing in one.
Removable cover for mattress
All-in-one bedding is expensive, so you might want to consider buying a separate removable, washable cover that can be washed separately.
One of the main benefits of this type of bedding is that it’s convenient because you don’t have to waste time removing the whole thing whenever you need to clean it. This means that it also saves money in terms of laundering costs and electricity bills, which makes it especially suitable for busy homes where people are always on the go!
What’s the difference between mattress toppers and protectors?
- Protectors are placed underneath your sheets, while mattress toppers go on top of them.
- A protector is used to protect your mattress from spills and accidents, while a mattress topper makes it feel more comfortable to sleep in
- Protectors add an extra level of protection, but they won’t make much difference when it comes to comfort levels.
- On the other hand, a topper will add cushioning and support under your body when you’re sleeping. They could even help with back problems by adding some additional support.
What is the best material for bed sheets?
- Cotton is definitely one of the best materials for sheets because it’s so soft and breathable. However, it does shrink after a few washes, so you need to be careful not to ruin your bedding by washing and drying them inside out.
- Linen is another great material that feels very soft and comfortable. It’s also known as an absorbent fabric which means that it’ll soak up any moisture on your skin to keep you feeling dry and fresh at night. Be aware, though, that linen can be expensive compared with cotton or polyester.
- Polyester has become increasingly popular recently because it’s cheap but still remarkably soft and smooth. It’s also tough enough to cope with lots of washes without losing their quality. However, some people complain that polyester feels a little too synthetic.
What type of pillow is right for you?
Pillows that are 100% feathers or down will be slightly more expensive, but they should retain their shape for two reasons. Firstly, the filling doesn’t change that much even after lots of washes, and secondly, it’s very light, so it won’t push your head forward when you’re sleeping.
If you’re on a budget, then polyester pillows might be best because they’re cheap to buy but still feel soft and comfortable.
There are also memory foam pillows available today, which you can mold into your exact shape before settling down for the night. They’ll go back to their original shapes when you get up, though, which is good news if you like to share your bed with someone else.
What type of mattress is used in 5-star hotels?
The most luxurious types of mattresses are those made with cashmere because it’s a natural material that feels really soft and comfortable against your skin. Most 5 star hotels won’t have different bedding for every room, but the more expensive rooms will often use high-quality materials.
How often do hotels change mattresses?
Hotels will usually change their mattresses every few years to keep up with new trends and fashion. However, the frequency of changes is going to depend on a number of different factors, including how long they leave a mattress set up for between guests.
Where To Buy An Affordable Foam Mattress?
- One option is to buy a mattress from a cheaper store because they usually sell affordable options.
- You could also check out discount websites like eBay and Gumtree if you’re on a really tight budget.
- Finally, there are several places online where you can buy a cheap mattress. Try out Google and take a look at the different options available to you.
Pros and cons of buying a mattress online
- One of the main advantages is that you’ll get to try out several mattresses in the comfort of your own home without having to go through all the hassle of visiting stores.
- However, some people worry about buying things like mattresses online because they worry about the quality and whether or not they will fit in their homes.
- The best thing to do is read reviews on websites like Trustpilot before committing yourself to anything. You could also check out mattress comparison sites like Mattresscompareuk to help you make an informed decision quickly.
- It might be worth trying to get a deal with free delivery if you’re spending over a certain amount too. You can save even more money by checking out special offers before parting with your cash.
- If you have a mattress from when you were a child, look for special size options too because they often come in smaller sizes which are perfect if you’re in a rented property or just want to save space in your room.
What is the best month to buy a mattress?
This will depend on what you need from a mattress. If you’re planning to buy a new one in the near future, try to get it during a sale because manufacturers often reduce prices when they’re trying to clear old stock.
The best time of year for discounts is going to follow the general pattern of mattress sales being most common around January and February, but this can vary slightly depending on the manufacturer or brand that you go for.
On the other hand, if you need your upgraded immediately, then buying during winter might not be such a good idea because heavy snowfall could cause delivery problems.
Customers are often very willing to share their opinions about a product they’ve bought recently. This is the best way to find out if something’s good or bad. You can ask questions directly to people who have used the mattress you’re interested in by leaving reviews of your own on websites.
5 tips for getting a comfortable night’s sleep:
- Find a coolroom
- Keep your bedroom well ventilated
- Eat healthily before bedtime
- Exercise regularly during the day
- Make sure you’re happy with your mattress choice!
It may seem obvious, but having a comfortable night’s sleep is all about getting into good habits that will make it easier for you to nod off. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle can also help improve the quality of your sleepover time.
Remember: if you’re not getting enough rest at night, you’ll find yourself feeling exhausted and grumpy during the day! If possible, invest in a memory foam mattress because they provide good levels of comfort without costing too much. These mattresses are also great for people who like firm support while sleeping – if you have an active lifestyle, these are ideal as they don’t wear out quickly.
How to take care of your mattress?
It’s vital to take care of your mattress because it could easily wear out or get damaged if you’re not careful! Here are a few suggestions that’ll help keep your bed in good condition:
- Only use a mattress protector and ensure it fits correctly (it should be well tucked under the mattress).
- Vacuum the mattress occasionally, especially around the edges.
- Make sure pillows aren’t too flat as this will make them less comfortable. If they do feel flat, simply fluff them up by pressing down on them with both hands – this should make them nice and fluffy again.
What’s the best way to clean a memory foam mattress?
You might feel tempted to clean your memory foam mattress by putting it through the washing machine, but this is a bad idea. Memory foam models are sensitive to water, so you need to make sure they’re completely dry before using them again. Hand washes them instead or hire a professional cleaning company that has experience with memory foam bedding.
How often should you rotate your mattress?
There’s no exact time period for rotating your mattress, but it’s recommended that you do this every few months just to keep things even. This will also help to spread out anybody’s impressions, so both sides of your bedding look brand new for as long as possible.
Famous Mattress Brands and Product Lines
If you’re looking for a high-quality mattress, but don’t have much money to spend, then these brands provide good value for the price: Dreams, Sealy Posturepedic, Nectar, Emma, Eve, John Lewis, etc.
If you’re willing to spend a bit more cash, then these brands provide good quality bedding: Rest Assured, Silentnight, Slumberland.
These are the most expensive beds on the market, but they are extremely comfortable and last for years, although there’s no guarantee that you’ll get your money’s worth if the company is already in financial trouble. They are also designed with luxury in mind, so they are suitable only for pampered homes!
Q.How long will it take for my mattress to expand?
A. If your product is compressed, it could take around 4-6 hours for the mattress to fully inflate. It depends on the size of the item and how tightly it’s been compressed
Q. What type of bedding does memory foam mattress suit best?
A. Memory foam models are often the top choice for people who have back problems because they offer extra support. This type of mattress is perfect if you need a combination of comfort and firmness
Q. I can’t stop myself from rolling around in bed. Is this normal?
A. Yes, it’s perfectly normal! There are two reasons why this might happen when you’re in bed. The first is that your mattress may be too hard for you – if this is the case, simply add an additional mattress topper until it’s softer and more comfortable
Q. What’s the difference between foam and memory foam?
A. Foam mattress is suitable for people who like firm mattress support, while memory foam options are ideal for those who want good levels of comfort. Memory foam options are also sensitive to temperature, so they’re great if you tend to get hot or cold when sleeping
Q. Can memory foam mattresses cause you to overheat at night?
A. Yes, this is a common problem with memory foam beds. To avoid overheating in bed, use a mattress topper or swap out your memory foam for a latex alternative. Latex is excellent when it comes to regulating the temperature, so it’s unlikely that you’ll feel too hot or cold when resting
Q. Should I get rid of my old mattress and buy a new one?
A. That depends on how old your mattress is! Most modern mattresses last around 10 years if they’re looked after properly (i.e., rotated every few months and kept dry), but some can still be used past this time period if they’re looking and feeling fine -it’s up to you.
The most comfortable mattress is the one that meets all your requirements. Make sure you’re honest about what kind of sleeper you are and how much room you have, especially when thinking about size.
Memory foam mattresses can seem expensive, but they offer great levels of support, so it might be worth investing in one if you suffer from back pain or arthritis – this will ensure a better night’s sleep for both yourself and your partner.