Sleep is vital for any person’s health. And when you get enough of it, you feel refreshed and ready to take on anything the next day.
But what happens when you have a poor night’s sleep? Insomnia is a severe condition that can be remedied by a good night’s sleep or professional help from your doctor.
But it doesn’t have to happen this way! Check out our review of the best pocket sprung mattress for restless sleepers and see if we might be able to help.
Best 5 Pocket Sprung Mattresses UK
1. Emma Original Mattress
The Emma mattress comes with a 20-year warranty covering its components against faults in the 2nd and 3rd years by the manufacturer itself.
That means you can get your payments reimbursed if something goes wrong in those years (the prices are capped at 25% of the total cost of the mattress).
- Machine washable and hypoallergenic
- Coil free technology
- Luxurious, multiple layers of foam and cover
- Cooling gel foam – great toppers for hot sleepers
- Comes in a wide range of sizes from twin to king size
- Made in the UK from high-quality, long-staple fibres
- One thousand high-quality memory foams provide a contouring support foam system.
- A little firmer mattress than some other sprung mattresses
- Not the cheapest mattress on the market
We would recommend this for:
- Anyone who prefers a better, supportive mattress.
- If you’re a heavier sleeper, this will be just right for you.
- And if you’re on a budget, it’s one of the best value options.
- If you need an even better-fitted mattress, we recommend that you check out our top pick or our best budget pick.
The Emma Mattress is available in twin to king-size and comes in bright white to dark chocolate brown.
It also comes with 20 years warranty for its components.
2. John Lewis & Partners Natural Collection Wensleydale Wool 13400, Pocket Spring Mattress
This is an excellent mattress with the highest quality materials and construction.
It uses a wool-based filling, which is both comfortable and cooling.
The super-soft layers of foam give you a nice, soft sleeping surface to sink into.
- Made with real wool
- Natural, sustainable material that’s not chemically processed
- Multiple layers of padding – gives an extra soft sleeping surface
- 13400 pocket springs are substantial but have medium tension for good support
- Costly mattress – not worth the price tag, in our opinion. There are other options on the market that better value.
This bed is the best choice for:
- People who are looking for a firm mattress. They can get better support from this bed because of its firmer feel.
- This bed is also best suited for heavier people because of its build quality.
- If you are also suffering from any kind of back or neck pain, this mattress will allow you to get a restful night’s sleep free from any unnecessary pressure points on your aches and pains.
3. Silentnight Hadleigh 800 Pocket Memory Mattress
As the name suggests, this is a foam mattress but with a different kind of support.
It has a high-density memory foam layer that provides bulk and support for your body.
Also, it uses pocket springs, which distribute pressure better than coil springs.
- High-quality materials
- Cooling foam – perfect for hot sleepers
- This mattress comes with both a king-size and double – plenty of room to stretch out on!
- Made of sustainable materials
- No loud noise caused by the off-gassing of particles – quiet, cool, and comfortable to sleep on
- Comes in a wide range of sizes, from single to king size
- Easy to move around with its soft landing pad – very light and easy to shift around
- The price tag of more expensive than some other options on the market.
We would recommend this mattress for:
- People who want a soft and luxurious bed.
- If you’re looking for extra comfort and relaxation, look no further than the Hadleigh 800 pocket sprung memory foam mattress.
The Dreamcloud mattress also has a 20-year warranty. It is made to keep your spine aligned and your body supported during the night.
It comes in 10 different sizes and uses four layers of foam and two layers of foam.
The top layer is firm, and the bottom layer is soft, which gives you a nice balance between comfort and support.
- It is made from components that are all built to last for 20 years – that’s a lot longer than other memory foam bedding (it will still be as comfortable as new in 20 years).
- Very supportive – great for neck and back pain
- Ten years warranty for the cover
- Machine washable and hypoallergenic – no off-gassing or chemicals to irritate your skin and lungs
- It’s not cheap, but it’s definitely worth the price tag, in our opinion.
This mattress is best suited for:
- If you’re looking for a memory foam bed that can last you years, then we would recommend this one.
- People who want a mattress will keep its shape and comfort over time (get ready to be surprised when you check it after ten years!).
- If you’re a hot sleeper, this is an excellent option because it has multiple layers of memory foam that will help you sleep cooler.
This bed comes in twin to king sizes and up to a 3ft6 mattress.
It uses a combined 2 inches of foam and 1 inch of memory foam for extra support.
The dual support system is composed of an extra pillow top for added comfort, with a core structure of high-grade polyfoam, so it lasts longer.
- Available in a wide range of sizes – worth taking a look at the full content. This means that the price tag won’t be as high as you would expect, though still more expensive than most other options on the market.
- Produced by one of the UK’s most respected brands
- Simba mattresses are built with quality materials and durable construction.
- No off-gassing – no chemical, artificial or fake smells
- this bed will be just suitable for anyone who has an adverse reaction to any of these
- A little pricier than many other memory foam beds – not cheap, but worth the investment.
We would recommend this bed for:
- Anyone who wants a mattress that will last them years.
It’s not too cheap to wear out, but it’s also not the most expensive option on the market. And worth checking out!
What size are you looking for?
When buying bedding, there are two things to know. The first is, of course, the actual size you need.
The second is how it compares to other beds in size.
UK Mattress sizes
- Single (S, 1.8m x 0.85m / 6ft x 2ft)
- Small double (SD, 3.0m x 1.8m / 9ft6 x 6ft)
- Double (D, 3.0m x 1.85m / 9ft6 x 6ft1)
- Large double / King single (LD, 4.0 m x 2.05m / 13ft x 6ft6)
Buying pocket spring mattresses online: the ultimate bed buying guide
1. Set your bed buying budget when mattress shopping
The first thing to do when looking for a new mattress is to set a budget.
The mattress market is highly competitive, which means that you can get some great deals online.
It’s essential to start by setting your budget, so you don’t overspend on your new bedding.
2. Mattress Types explained
- There are two main types of memory foam bedding you can choose from. The first is the regular or body type, often called visco-elastic memory foam. This mattress has high-quality materials, but it doesn’t offer enough support for overweight or have back problems.
- The second type is the traditional pocket sprung mattress. This bed uses a combination of memory foam and pocket springs that offer good support for anyone who suffers from back pain or arthritis because it helps distribute weight evenly across your body. King-sized beds are better suited to more prominent people, whereas double beds are better suited to couples with spare rooms. This is because there are fewer springs in a double mattress.
- A hybrid mattress is a blend of memory foam and pocket springs, making them a good option for anyone who wants a mixture of both worlds. These beds are better to sleep on if you have back pain because they have enough support from the springs to help with discomfort. The main problem with these mattresses is that they need to be aired before use because their fibers release moisture when heated up – this can lead to an unpleasant smell and off-gassing in your room!
3. Choosing the right mattress
One of the best ways to pick a new mattress is to look for a bed making a good rating.
A good rating means that the mattress has gotten good reviews from previous customers and is highly shared on social media like Facebook and Twitter.
This will give you a good indication of how well the mattress is made.
If you didn’t find one with a high rating, we would recommend looking at our top-rated pocket sprung memory foam bedding.
These mattresses use high-quality materials and will last for years!
Are pocket sprung mattresses expensive?
Pocket sprung mattresses are more expensive than normal memory foam ones but not the most expensive mattresses on the market.
The average price for a good pocket sprung mattress in the UK is £500. You can get a great deal if you shop around!
Where can I buy a memory foam mattress?
Mattress shops are often massive chains of shops with high prices and offer little in return – not a good place to shop if you’re on a budget!
It’s much better to buy your mattress online for the following reasons:
- You can get deals that you won’t get in-store – if you’re on a budget, the deals are great!
- If you know what you want, then look around and check out all of the different shops.
- It’s often cheaper – You can get cheap deals on memory foam mattresses if you shop around online.
- Online shops usually offer better deals because they don’t have stores to pay, while stores generally have high prices because they need to pay people to put items away in their warehouses.
- They are similar businesses, though, so it doesn’t change anything other than price.
- You can get more variety – There are plenty of sites online that can sell you a memory foam mattress, and they all have a different range of products.
- If you’re looking for something in particular, it’s worth looking around to see if there is anything more suited to your tastes.
- You get free delivery – Not everywhere offers free delivery on mattresses, but some sites do. If this is important to you, then it’s always worth checking out what is available.
- You can read reviews – Most sites will offer customer reviews on the mattresses they sell. This is great for helping you find something that is best suited to your needs and preferences.
The best pocket spring mattress features:
- Firmness – It’s essential to choose your mattress based on what you want. You need a bed that will offer the support you need, but not too firm or too soft!
- Temperature – For a good night’s sleep, it’s essential to pick a cool mattress. If you’re worried about this, then look at our mattress temperature review.
- Thickness – The best pocket sprung mattresses will have higher thicknesses of memory foam, and this is because they are designed for support, which means they require thicker materials. A thinner mattress might feel good on your skin, but it won’t be as supportive as a thicker one.
- The thickness setting is a personal preference, and you’ll need to think about how much room you have left in your bed frame. A twin-sized mattress will fit in a normal-sized frame, but a king-size mattress will be too wide for most frames.
- Off-gassing – The smell of a new mattress can be awful! This is normal with all memory foam mattresses, but it’s terrible with off-the-shelf ones, and it’s not dangerous or harmful. Just make sure to air out your room, especially if it’s in a tight space!
- Warranty – Normally, you can get a form of warranty on memory foam mattresses. The main one is the 10-year warranty. This provides good value for money because it covers all materials used to make the bedding. This means that your bed will last you seven years before needing to be replaced.
- Cost – While cheaper memory foam mattresses do exist, they are typical of inferior quality. Many different types of mattresses have mediocre ratings but are cheap because they are cheating on their customers. By comparing the price with the features offered, you can choose a product with better quality at a lower price!
4. Choosing the best mattress natural fibres & fillings
It’s essential to pick a mattress that has high-quality materials for it to last.
This means that your bed will last longer, and also you won’t feel uncomfortable on it.
You can get cheap sleep products that will give you poor service and cause back pain.
The National Bed Federation has a good list of bedding materials that are best for your health! The materials they recommend are CertiPUR-US certified: This means the bedding has been tested to have low levels of toxins and no harmful chemicals. This type of mattress is likely to have a label with a number on it.
1) Memory foam:
a) The main benefit of memory foam is its ability to contour your body shape and support you while you sleep.
b) It’s also hypoallergenic, which is excellent if you have allergies because this means there are no chemicals in the foam.
c) Memory foam is usually odorless, but still, off-gassing can be an issue.
a) Density is just the amount of materials that are used in a mattress.
b) The lower the density, the softer mattress it will be.
c) It might not be as supportive as memory foam, so it’s essential to pick a product that has a high density, so you don’t need to buy another one in your life!
a) This type of bedding is made with lots of different materials.
b) This gives it many advantages for supporting your body and making sleep comfortable.
c) A disadvantage is that it’s expensive because of all of the materials.
4) Natural & Organic:
a) Simply means that the bedding is made with all-natural fillings and organic materials.
b) This can be an excellent option for allergies but not necessarily the best choice for support.
c) Organic products are often overpriced and can be challenging to find in retail shops!
a) Hybrid mattresses will combine different types of fibres for excellent support.
b) The most popular option is memory foam mixed with latex.
c) This is great for hypoallergenic people, but the quality will be hard to match.
a) a standard choice that can be made because it’s cheap, comfortable, and easy to clean.
b) It’s great for those who want a firm sleeping surface!
a) Great for those who like the springiness of wool but hate its high price tag!
a) If you want the comfort of cotton without having any off-gassing issues.
b) This is also important because you’ll need to wash your mattress every few months!
a) Some beds use latex as the material.
b) This has all of the benefits of memory foam but without any chemicals or off-gassing issues.
Why do mattress companies hide what’s inside their beds?
The production process for many of these beds is unknown, which means that customers cannot find out precisely what is inside the mattresses. This is to prevent people from making their own products, which can be dangerous!
The materials used by these companies are also very secret, so they can charge you more because they aren’t just using cheap materials.
Some of the materials that bedding companies use are synthetic and toxic to your health! Synthetic materials include HDPE, polypropylene, and polyurethane. These materials could cause cancer or trigger other health problems.
Recycled plastic bottles are used for filling up mattresses, but they can’t be recycled. They will eventually rot down to the ground, releasing dangerous chemicals.
What are the benefits of blended British fleece wool?
Blended British fleece wool is perfect for all sleeping positions!
It will stay cool in the summer and warm in the winter, so it’s the best material to have for any season. This also makes it perfect for body temperature regulation!
It doesn’t have any off-gassing chemicals so you won’t have to worry about getting an allergic reaction to it. The only mattress like this is called the Wonderful Dreams mattress and it’s made out of British fleece wool!
5. Do your mattress online research
You can research pretty much everything you want by using the internet! You can get information about mattress brands, mattresses, bedding, pillows, and more!
The internet also contains lots of independent reviews about different products.
You can go to forums like this one to get reviewed bedding tips.
This is a good place for mattress advice because it targets people who are looking for advice on buying a new product.
6. Compare Mattress Guarantees
Most companies will have a warranty to give you peace of mind if the bed is defective.
This might be a 15-year guarantee, which is great because it increases the chance that you’ll get a good sleep!
Not all businesses offer long guarantees, but this can mean a few things:
- They are cheap and bad. This means they couldn’t afford to pay for expensive processes to make their products.
- They are cheap and good.
- There are some bad products out there that last, but it’s smart to cover your bases with a good guarantee!
7. Ask the mattress retailers for tailored mattress advice
If you can’t find any information about the bed online, then ask your retailer! They should be able to give you all the information that you need.
If they don’t know, then you could always search for them on Better Business Bureau.
If they’re happy to help, then they should be willing to help you. Work with them and ask questions about what they sell.
Ask them how long their company has been around (how long does it take for a company to make a profit?).
Ask them what kind of standards they have for their products? Are these standards independently verified? What are their policies for giving refunds? How many mattresses do they have in stock each year?
Choosing mattress firmness: Sleeping Position
- Back sleepers need firm mattresses. This will have the best support for your spine.
- If you’re a side sleeper, then you need a medium-firm mattress. This is because sleeping on your stomach can put more pressure on your core and it’s good to have extra support while lying on your side.
- If you’re a front sleeper, then have a soft mattress because this is the best way to not hurt yourself while sleeping! You’ll still get good support from a soft bed so don’t worry!
How to look after your mattress?
- Change your sheets and pillowcases every three months.
- Don’t treat your mattress harshly. If you’re afraid of getting stains on your mattress, then just invest in something that is resistant to stains and avoid the colours that will stain the most.
- Do not wash your bedding with an extremely hot water temperature on a regular basis. This can damage the quality of your bed!
- Avoid bending and twisting your mattress. This can weaken it and collapse the core!
- Don’t ever use chemicals on your mattress. This will damage the materials, and could cause you to be allergic to them!
If I own fabric pocket sprung mattress, what should I do to it?
- Wash your mattress with a fabric softener. This will help to reduce the wrinkles that result from washing.
- Don’t use fabric pockets softener on your bedding. It’s best to use something like Downy or Bounce dryer sheets instead.
- Use a mild detergent for your bedding if you want to wash the material.
- Hang dry your sheets. If you don’t, then it can cause the wool to shrink or become damaged!
- If your mattress is lumpy, then use a mattress topper! This will help to provide a more comfortable sleep.
How long do mattresses last?
A good question that many people want to know, but there isn’t a complete answer for everyone!
Most mattresses will last at least 8 years, but this depends on how often you use them and what you put on top of it.
- A new mattress will last for 8 years if you don’t use it. This is because the materials are pure and contain no off-gassing chemicals or fumes. This means that the bed won’t have any problems!
- If you’re using your bed frequently, then you should consider replacing it between 3-8 years. This is because the support on the mattress isn’t perfect and it will start to wear on just about anything on top of it. This will also depend on what type of bedding is used.
Bedding for your new mattress
- Mattress protector: This covers your mattress, which will protect it from stains and help the bed last longer.
- Mattress pad: This will give you a more comfortable sleep and reduce the firmness of the bed. It will be a more snug fit for all sleeping styles!
- Pillow: Make sure to get a good pillow so you have a more comfortable sleep.
- Comforters: For extra warmth! You can also use these during autumn or winter to keep yourself warm.
- Bedsheets: These help to protect your bed from stains and they can also provide extra warmth. It’s also good to use these as a good base for your mattress protector.
- Blanket: This is nice to have when in bed! You can look at this in the winter and in the summer!
How many springs should a pocket sprung mattress have?
A good pocket sprung mattress should have at least 10 springs in the centre.
This will provide maximum support for your spine and prevent you from waking up in pain!
An even better pocket sprung mattress should have 15 springs to provide a lot of support!
This will reduce your chances of getting a sore back in the morning, but it also makes it perfect for sleepers who move a lot when they’re sleeping.
Do all mattresses need flipping or turning?
Some mattresses will need turning while some won’t! This all depends on the materials that are made with.
- If it has memory foam, then it will need to be turned every 6 months because it will suffer from compression. A mattress like this can also get heat stains very easily.
- If it has a latex, then you need to flip it twice a year. This is because latex will lose its bounce if it’s left to rest on the same side for too long.
What is a bed-in-a-box?
This is a new type of bed that has an online system by which you can order mattresses. The company will deliver it straight to your home, so it might take a little while for you to get it. This mattress is perfectly suited for all sleeping positions. It will suit side sleepers, back sleepers, and even front sleepers!
The bed-in-a-box is made of polyurethane foam and silk fibers. This will provide you with a more comfortable sleep. They come vacuum-packed with an artificial down cover. This is the perfect way to receive your mattress fresh and snuggly!
The mattress industry is massive! There are many different types of products available to consumers.
The overall range is huge and there are really no limits on where the industry will go!
There are new materials that are being discovered every day making new products for this industry.
Researching these materials will help you find the best product for your sleep needs.
It is important to get advice from someone who has had experience with these mattresses so you can get good quality advice and determine if the product you will be buying is right for you.